Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July weekend

We had a wonderful "Fourth" weekend. I wasn't sure it was going to be so great as my husband was going to have to work on the actual Holiday, but then it rained all day, the canceled the fireworks, and we he got to come home (he was on a holdover for other guys who had to cover the fireworks. I don't have one picture of anything that we did because I am a lame excuse of a photographer mother. Actually, it's a really big hassle getting my big 'ol camera with all the crap that comes with it (since I've turned into a photo snob and have to have the flash and pizazz and all that good stuff) out, and I don't have a simple little point-and-shoot deal (which seriously I need to get!!), so there is no photo documentation of this day.....sorry:( But I still must document this momentous weekend, if nothing but for myself to look on later and remember that it was fun to be so tired and busy from all the mom stuff.

Friday we went to the Rantoul pool with some friends and had a blast. We almost closed the place out, and I am pretty sure my kids would have stayed for at least 28 more hours if I would've let them. I was exhausted chasing around my slippery, greasy buffalo/Maebree around whilst she dove head first into the water in great attempts at drowning herself. She has no fear when it comes to water! She said on the way home the whole way home "I yike fimming....I rewey yove it". That melted my heart. I promised the girls we would make home-made ice cream (something I've wanted to try with them for months) when we got home, so I headed for the store for the supplies. After spending $17 on ingredients, cleaning up spilled ice and salt 483 times, and almost cussing at least twice, I decided it would either a.) make it myself next time, or b.) splurge on the $5 gallon of ice cream from the grocery store. I thought for sure 5 hours of swimming and then another hour of stressing me out would knock them out for good, but they u ended up staying up past 11 watching a movie.....kids and summer...... After Maebree spilled an entire glass of water on the floor, I yelled for her to go to her room and wait for me. I prayed with the other two and then went into her room and found that she had turned on her fan, shut off her light, turned her closet light on (I have NO idea how she managed that one!) and had already tucked herself into bed.........my heart melted yet again.

Saturday we spent the day with mom and dad eating some YUMM-O grilled food my dad made as well as some equally yummy home-made ice cream (that I made MYSELF this time) and homemade brownies from my sister-in-law. Russ came home early, and we headed over to mom and dad's new place to measure and prepare where they wanted stuff. Pretty much that was it.

Sunday we had church in the a.m. I was determined to go for a jog as I had not for a couple days and then became frustrated that I was too exhausted to go any further than I did (after reading the previous posts...I now understand why I was so frustrated:) We gathered some stuff and headed to Wal-Mart for snacks and light sticks for the fire works in Champaign. We found an amazing spot to watch them at (except the tick that landed somehow on my husbands toe). After the tick debacle, we decided to keep the kids on the blacktop. We later discovered they weren't much safer there as some moron decided he would speed through the parking lot (and right down the middle of where all our kids were standing, literally, split their group in half!). My mom gave him some choice words, and my husband found the 'ol Louisville Slugger in the back of the car just in case. The fireworks were AMAZING (Maebree of course cried and hid her eyes the whole time). My husband gets the quote of the night:

"Why would anyone other country want to mess with us? We blow (crap) up for fun!"

He didn't say crap, but he didn't totally say "the other word" either...just implied it. I won't type it in an effort to not highly offend anyone. Personally I think "the other way" sounds more effective in it's delivery:) We loaded everyone up in the car and headed home afterwords. Maebree said on the whole way home "I yike doze fighter-works....I rewey yiked dem mom!" Yeah....right.....wish I had the photo documentation to otherwise prove it.

Today I had dentist appointments (no cavities for all!) and then cleaned my house like a mad woman. I mean, this place is nasty since I have been in an editing hole for what seems like decades. I managed to really get the downstairs in my house looking good, even scrubbing floors on my hands and knees! I think I get the quote of the day for my facebook status which reads:

"I did my part to make my house as un-green as possible today. I used an entire role of paper towels and harsh chemicals to completely scour the downstairs. Congress can suck it!"

Sorry if that offended anyone:) Except I'm really not. I don't like congress right now, and they are not going to tell me how to clean my house. I have edited some more pics, went and helped my mom pack up a room in her house, and now I'm back home and ready for bed....except I have about 100 more pictures to edit. There really is no rest for the weary......

No comments: