Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bats? Really?

So I have this really fluffy post on fall and how much I love this season. It is accompanied by pictures of my house and all that jazz, but it will have to wait until later because I just heard something quite disturbing.

I was standing at my washing machine ( I know, right! I was actually doing laundry, folding it no less!) and the first news piece of the day was about some bat infestation in Shelbyville. The thing that really caught my attention was when the reporter said something like they don't know what to do with all the bats because they are a "federally protected species" and it is illegal to exterminate them. Really? Bats? They are a federally protected species? And unborn babies are somehow in a category less important than bats, according to our federal government. I have nothing against bats personally, but I don't think I could hold them in higher standing than I would human life. I mean....they have rabies and stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea they were federally protected, but my wonderful, oh-so-wise husband who knows the weirdest, most incredibly, not-so-interesting trivia knew they were federally protected and looked at me like, "I can't believe you didn't know that." Sorry, I don't really keep up on bats....Anyway, I am totally with you about them standing higher than the unborn. Seriously!!! Unreal!!!

Nichole