Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jesus at Walmart?

I decided to go grocery shopping yesterday for the first time in about 12 years (or what seemed like 12 years according to our cabinets). After hearing on the radio that my store of choice, which is usually Meijer, was having some big back-to-school bash, Walmart quickly became my only choice. It was unusually quiet which was strange because it was 5:30 in the evening and usually a really busy time. It was just Tater and I, so I got through everything pretty quickly while she was "resting" in the front of the cart.

We get to the check-out lane and the guy in front of us was a little unkempt looking.....and that is probably being nice. He hadn't shaved, cut his hair, or probably showered for about 5 years, and he was wearing an orange robe/tunic looking thing. By this time, Mae was wide awake and begging for candy bars. She looked forward, noticed they guy, and started pointing and yelling "LOOK MOMMA!! It's an ORANGE JESUS!!" I was doing my best to give her "the face"...you know "the face" moms. It's the "dear GOD please stop pointing and embarrassing me" face. It's the "be quiet before I get into a confrontation with a rather scary looking person" face. I was shooshing her and begging her to stop talking...all with "the face". She didn't notice the face and refused to quiet down until I acknowledged that she truly did see an "orange Jesus".

Fortunately, I don't believe the guy was with it enough to hear her, or he was just being nice and not acknowledging that he heard her which if that was was the case, was kind of Jesus-like:) The check-out lady, however, did hear her and was laughing hysterically as if she had been holding it in for about 12 years. She informed Maebree (as did I of course) that was NOT in fact Jesus.

kids.....*sigh* Their perspectives are pretty interesting. We don't know what Jesus looks like, but I am anxious to see if he looks like my Maebree's "Orange Jesus" or more like my "Passion of The Christ" Jim Caviezel Jesus. I'm hoping the latter, but probably neither.......

2 comments:

melbys said...

love. love. love this post. :) ah, gotta love walmart!

Anonymous said...

You should have grabbed a picture of the guy and sent it to peopleofwalmart.com :)