Monday, September 14, 2009

Russ and I celebrated our anniversary 11 years ago on September 12. I CANNOT believe that we have been married for 11 years, but wow. Amazing.

We stayed at this amazing little B&B in Galena, IL. We spent our honeymoon there (not the greatest place for a honeymoon, we should've done the beach!) and wanted to go back for a quick little weekend getaway. After much stress of not finding a place, we found this lovely place. They owner was SUPER nice and accommodating (the room we wanted was rented out RIGHT before I gave him a confirmation that we wanted it) so he gave (well, not "gave") us his coach house for the same price. We walked in and knew we got a huge deal! The inside of the mansion was lovely. The moose did throw me for a loop.


Our lovely little coach house. I was scared when she pointed it out to us upon arrival. (notice my hubby's new toy parked in front. Yep. He finally has a big-boy truck again!) Also, that's Karen the Cat. She is precious.


Any fears we had were immediately squelched when we walked into our private oasis.


ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. And comfortable. And quiet, private, just amazing. They actually had champagne and chocolates waiting for us when we arrived. I found out that champagne is definitely over-rated (never had the stuff before) unless a simple little splash of it is mixed with a full glass of grape juice:) Not a drinker am I.


We shopped that evening and ate at a lovely pizza place that served us a very boring meager lettuce (and only lettuce) salad but also beer nuggets. That would be bread bear-battered and deep fried in oil. MmmHmm. Delicioso. The pizza was awesome too.

The next morning we shopped some more and then decided to go to Chestnut Mountain resort. He wanted me to do the Alpine slide which was fun....



What was NOT fun was coming back up. On that ski lift. I was terrified. Nine years ago I would've been swinging that thing and being all crazy with it. That day my palms were sweating and I was vomiting and peeing my pants on the inside the whole time. My palms are sweaty just typing about it. Evidently since having children, I have also developed a fear of heights.

I smiled, but I was not a happy girl! Though I did survive.

We ate at the restaurant we ate at when we came for our honeymoon, Fried Green Tomatoes. The last time we were there, it was out in the country. Quite the lovely place. This time it is downtown and has gotten a lot more swanky!! They serve you each course separately. It's AWESOME! And the best Italian food I've eaten ever. And since it was our anniversary, they gave us some Creme Brulee as our complimentary treat. Whoa. I have a new obsession. Cake, you might have to take a backseat for a bit. (JK cake, I will never leave you nor forsake you!) It was good. Russ didn't care for it. He said it tasted like bacon (WHAT?). So I had it ALL to myself!


I have a picture of us on our honeymoon that is similar to this and will have to post a comparison some day (I'm too lazy to dig it out:). But it is obvious that we have gotten a lot less dorky with age. Which is a good thing. The funny thing is the last time I wore that dress for my birthday party, I had some crazy tan lines from sitting in the driveway waiting for the limo. I wore the same shirt that day, and got the same tan lines. Weird!

We headed home, and I took some lovely scenery pictures, but it just doesn't do it justice. God's creation is just so darn amazing, I don't know how people can think it's an accident caused from space junk.


And when we arrived home, our children presented us with the best present ever. Didi had them make us some paintings, one of which I have already hung:) The others are their personal ones, and I will take a picture of their positions when I have them all hung. They are AWESOME!


Their combined mutual effort. Pretty cool!

So it was an amazing trip. A MUCH needed getaway for me and the hubs. He will start helping his dad in the field soon, and I have a VERY busy schedule coming up in October, so all in all, it was well worth it!

No comments: