Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Most of you know about the HUGE FIRE that occurred last Friday. Click on the link, and you will get all the info you need to know:) I was awakened that morning by my kids at 6:00 a.m. We had picked my dad up at the airport the night before and did not get home until midnight, which put me going to bed at 1:00 a.m. Haven't been up that late in a LONG time. Anyway, I was frustrated because I was SURE they would all sleep in a little due to them not going to bed until so late. I thought I would wake up, make a big breakfast for us all (the kids did not have school that day), and we would just have a family day. Well, they were obviously hungry at 6:00, but me being the awesome mom I am (yeah right!), made them go downstairs and watch t.v. until Russ got home, which would be around 7:30ish. Well, that time came and past, and I wondered what was keeping him. I rolled out of bed and started breakfast, and by 8:00, I was getting a little worried. He always called to say he would be late or if he was on holdover. I called his cell and got nothing. I thought "Hm......maybe I should check the news". It was then that I turned the t.v. on to see a pic of this blazing inferno:

(These shots were taken by a paramedic with her blackberry....a few clearer ones can be seen on the website)

In my state of fogginess, I didn't realize that these pics were from Champaign, I was thinking Springfield or something. Then I see on the bottom of the screen "Downtown Champaign". Knowing Russ was stationed downtown that night, I immediately starting screaming "Girls, LOOK! Daddy was on that fire! Daddy is there!" Then the thought came to my brain...hm....maybe I should make sure everything is ok before I start getting excited about some big structure fire my husband is at and start broadcasting to my children that he is there. Again....I was in a state of fogginess. Anyway, a few minutes later the reporters state that no one is injured and that they by this time had the fire under control. So then we watched the news all morning long hoping to catch a glimpse of daddy fighting the big fire. Unfortunately, we didn't see him there, but we did get a picture of him workin' the "Big Stick" on Ladder Co 161:

Now he wasn't on this particular ladder,

but he was on THIS ONE. Did ya see him coming down!? They were able to contain the fire to that one building when many people thought it would spread to others and take out the whole block. There was a little damage to surrounding buildings, but gotta give big props to Champaign Fire Dept, Urbana, and many volunteer departments that help contain and put out the fire. Yeah Firefighters!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Russ!!! Glad to see that you were safe as well as all of the firefighters. God's protection is awesome!! I'll leave the TALL ladders for you to climb :o)

Misty, you crack me up. Get some rest!!!

Nichole

RK said...

I hadn't heard about this....what excitement in the ole' C-U!