Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pinterest Shminterest

Pinterest is full of a bunch of dirty tramp liars.  Seriously.  They give you all the fabulous ideas, and you see them and say "Psh...I got this. I can so do that" and you rush to the nearest craft store and develop severe "Craft ADD" while in there and buy a bunch of stuff and go home with the grand attempt to become the next Martha Stewart. Problem is...Martha is rich and pays people to be creative for her.

I found this extremely cute dresser idea for Maebree.  She's eclectic, and I thought this was perfect. 


Nice idea right?  Right.  Well...let me give you a little background on the dresser.  Russ and I somehow aquired this dresser when we were first married.  It came out of some family member of my grandmas who I believe smoked herself to death.  (it's sad....but true)  The dresser came out of her trailer and REAKED of cigarettes.  I don't even know how we managed to get the smell out, but we did.  We were poor, pregnant, and needed a small dresser to fit in our closet so it worked.  This dresser isn't even made out of real wood. It's particle board with a thick, contact-like paper that is SUPPOSED to look like wood grain covering it.  And it weights about 1457 pounds.  That might be an exaggeration, but it feels true. We used that dang dresser in our bedroom up til we moved when somehow Maebree acquired it in her closet because she really needed a dresser. Our kids have never needed a dresser because our old house had closets the size of bedrooms and we just hung everything or had it nicely folded in the shelves.  This house....all three need dressers, but I needed a bathroom first, so in order to save money...I decided I would attempt to revamp this one.  It's been in her closet, and it couldve stayed there, but she has so many toys, and I HATE clutter, so I decided that having a cute colorful dresser outside and all the clutter and toys inside would be a better idea. 

Here is the finished product. Poor kid, it looks like mommy was drunk when she did this. 


Before you start in on the "that's not that bad" speech...let me say this: the picture gives it TOO much justice.  You cannot modge podge over particle board.  it doesn't work.  Also, no matter how much you coat it, a 5-year-old will figure out how to tear it apart.  So I covered it in clear contact paper. And then I stapled it to the drawers (which you can see all the staples) And then I got tired of measuring so all my lines are crooked.  And then I figured out you couldn't regular paint it so I spray painted it.  I also spray painted the pulls.  It looks like mommy was drunk while refinishing it. 


Looks like Mae's in the market for a new dresser.  Side note, she loved it.  I know.....your shocked. 




No comments: