Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Presidents Day

I can't wait to throw up some finished pics of my house. Were close....so close I can almost TASTE it. Literally....as in drywall dust. Bleck. Soon....soon and very soon.

Russ and I don't celebrate Valentines day. We used to, back in the day when we had money and no kids and a house payment that was cheaper than most peoples car payments. He bought me jewelry (said he bought me all the jewelry he ever had to in our first year of marriage. Ha! Sucker.) But then kids came and the realization that really...its a stupid holiday and just another excuse for kids to get jacked up on sugar at school. Or for the card and flower companies to take over our lives. But we would usually still use the opportunity to have a night out to ourselves without kids. You kno, hit dinner and a movie, typical stuff. When he started on the fire department, his schedule didn't always allow for us to go out on actual Valentines day (which...really...is a SUPER large pain in the butt if you ask me). A couple years ago we went out on the next day we could which HAPPENED to be President's day. And it hit us: This is WAY funner. NO crowds. Half-priced chocolate. Restaurants to ourselves (which lets face it....neither of us are crowd/people fans). So the tradition began.

This year, my sister graciously offered to take the kids early so we could enjoy a day together. I thought I would fill you in on what a day date for a couple who have been married for close to 14 years (together 15) looks like. Enjoy.

  • Dropped the kids off at moms at about 2, got out of there about 2:30.
  • Headed to Prairie land feeds to buy dog food. We have a frequent buyer program for Moses's dog food. He's a beast. Looked for a new collar cause I almost had to cut his old one off his big 'ol neck. Didn't have one big enough/small enough (he's not an xtra large. yet)
  • Neither of us ate lunch, so we were starving. All I wanted was steak. A GOOD steak. Cooked by people who knew how to cook steak. Decided The Ribeye was in order. I was under the impression they opened at 4.
  • Drove past, realized it was indeed 4:30 when they opened. Crap. Hit ReStore to look for some more home improvement/Pinterest projects. (Pinterest...for those who don't know...is another website that takes over lives. My gramma would be so disappointed.) Found a door for our bathroom.
  • Went BACK to The Ribeye. It is now 4:20. This is where things.got.crazy. We pulled in the parking lot and there were already several cars there. Three of them had people unloading wheelchairs and walkers. I'm not joking. We walk in to a crowded waiting area and realize that we are INDEED younger than everyone in there's GRANDCHILDREN. The hostess looked at us and I swear the conversation in her mind was "What the HECK are two insanely amazing and trendy young people like YOU doing in a place like this at this hour" (I did buy a new super cute sweater and did my hair). We got seated and had to fight a few wheelchairs for the salad bar. At one point a 350 pound woman in a wheelchair started choking on her bread and for a minute, my husband was afraid he would have to intervene and perform some firefighter like duties. I reminded him he would get the honor of "Fire fighter of the Year". He said he didn't want it that way. I said it would give me some amazing bragging rights at my HS reunion. We agreed to disagree and the lady drank some water and was fine. My steak...as an fyi....was amazing. I know of NO other place that you can order a well-done steak (shut up you gaspers and lovers of raw meat. I prefer to eat my food when it has STOPPED bleeding thanks very much) and cut it with a fork. Is the Ribeye an amazing, beautifully decorated, trendy, and fabulous place to spend a Monday night? Nope. It's not. I just told someone today that I am at the point in my life that a good, well cooked meal beats out fabulous decor any day of the week. And...it was a delicious meal. As we were leaving the parking lot, it started getting busy with a bustle of a less old crowd. Russ made the comment that it was a good thing we were leaving now, he just couldn't handle that loud, whipper snapper crowd.
  • What's the next romantic place we went you ask? Well...we have 3.5 acres now, and all we have is a push mower. So to Lowes we went. I mean.....come on. It COULD'VE been Menards. But we made it special and *little* classier. Decided I looked pretty dang good on a riding mower. He wouldn't let me get the one with the reclining seat. Whatevs.
  • After Lowe's, we hit Slumberland to check out a new bed for our room as ours is too big. The one we wanted was no longer on sale.
  • Off to the mall. We went to the Sleep Number store to see what all the fuss was about with those beds. Russ was unimpressed. The lady sold me hook-line-and-sinker. Coincidentally, I am a 45. He's a 75.
  • Macy's was interesting. After a disgusting ride on an escalator (have you ever looked down at those? seriously...clean them a couple times a year...bleck) we scoped out the upstairs home section, did a little dream shopping, I hit the bathroom, and then we decided that was all the mall we wanted to take in.
  • We had walked most of our food off and were in the mood for dessert. We didn't want ice cream, and didn't really want to hit any of the Prospect restaurants, so when you think "baked goods" where do YOU think of going? That's right people. Perkins is where its AT! We sat, the waiter came and asked us for our drink order (We only ordered water) and I mentioned we should've hit The Courier. Russ asked if we should just go. I felt bad for the waiter. You see..its a Monday night. And there was one OTHER couple in the restaurant who was probably over 55 and I just wanted the poor guy to make his rent that month (as if my $2 tip would help). I said no....lets stay. Perkins was perfect for the ambiance for the rest of the night. The Courier was just TOO trendy a place for us to go at this point.....I'm in it for a good story, and I have become rather accustomed to eating with my senior citizen crowd. Almost no one was choking at this restaurant. So we stayed. My pie was freezer burnt, and Russ finished his mediocre brownie in like two seconds. Probably should've hit Courier.
  • Hit the gas station to fill up the truck. Decided we should head home and feed the beast. He had been cooped in a cage most of the day.
  • Waited for mom and Di to bring the girls home, made out a little (yes...people who have been married for close to 14 years SHOULD make out a little every now and then) put my fat pants on, and watched a little tv.
Now...ask me if I was disappointed in any of that? Cause my answer is a resounding no. We had a blast cause at the end of the day, we got to spend one-on-one time with each other when we RARELY get to. And after all this time, we CAN have fun eating dinner with senior citizens and pretending to ride lawn mowers at Lowes. He can still make me giggle and makes my heart flutter, and we just have loads of fun together cause he's my BFF:) I think the moral of this story is that people put too much emphasis on the perfect setting and the perfect place and really what matters is having the perfect person for you sitting across the table from you deciding on whether or not your going to have to give someone the Heimlich.

No comments: